Thursday, November 1, 2012

Carrot Pachadi

A traditional dish from the southern part of India. My grand mom used to make it for me and this was one of my favorite foods when I was a kid. The combined flavors of carrot and coconut will make us want to eat more and more. Very healthy, delicious, colorful and easy dish. I haven't made it since I moved to Germany (which is 2 years now) and finally made it today. The dish tastes so much better with fresh coconut, but I couldn't get my hand on one. So, I am making my dish with coconut powder.

Ingredients:

Large carrots - 3
Coconut powder - 4 tbsp [the more you add the better it tastes]
Salt - to taste
Green chillies - 2
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Chana dal - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Urad dal - 1 tsp 
Turmeric powder - pinch 
Curry leaves - 2 stems
Tamarind paste - 1.25 tbsp 
Oil - 3 tbsp 

Preparation:
  1. Chop the green chillies and the carrots and keep them aside. 
  2. Add 2 tbsp of oil in a pan and heat it on medium high. Add the chopped chillies and let them fry for 2 to 3 minutes. 
  3. Add the coconut powder and let if fry for few seconds. Add the salt, tamarind paste and carrots to the above and let it fry for 30 seconds. Do not cook the carrots as we want the crunchy texture to the dish.
  4. Let it cool for some time and once cooled blend the mixture in to a paste. Check the seasoning and add some salt if necessary and blend again. 
  5. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in another pan. Add mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal, cumin seeds, turmeric powder, curry leaves and fry for 30 seconds. 
  6. Add the paste [from step 4] to the above and fry it for less than a minute.  
Enjoy with hot rice!!!!!

Note: Never let the carrots cook for more than a min at any point of time as the dish tastes much better when the carrot still retains its crunchy texture. Have to be very careful when frying coconut powder as it tends to burn very quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment